About the Course
The lifeblood of every organisation is good Financial Management. Efficient and effective use of the financial resources in achieving organisational objectives is of paramount importance to the success of a programme or project and the basis of building sustainable organisations. This requires that both programme and finance officers get themselves acquainted with financial management skills and knowledge that will enable the project to succeed. Emphasis on excellent programme implementation without sound financial management skills and knowledge has resulted in good programmes either being discontinued requires financial accountability.
This five-day course has been structured to cover key skills and knowledge needed in effectively managing the finances. It is aimed at strengthening the financial management skills and confidence of programme staff to integrate good financial management systems into operations management; and manage and control financial resources more efficiently and effectively.
- How to achieve good practice in financial management – key principles and frameworks
- Building and using effective budgets – including project and donor budgets, and cash flow forecasts.
- Budgeting and accounting for central support (‘core’) costs
- Understanding the Balance Sheet – how to make sense of annual financial statements
- Monitoring and controlling budgets – preparing and using budget comparison reports
- Safeguarding our assets – internal control systems and procedures
- Managing the audit process
Who should attend?
- Finance Managers and Officers interested in developing their financial management skills and knowledge to improve finance systems and support for program staff.
- Non-financial officers and managers who want to improve practice in financial planning, control and reporting;
Public Sector Financial Management (In-person)
Public Sector Financial Management (Virtual)
Wednesday, January 20, 2021 - Friday, January 22, 2021
Monday, March 15, 2021 - Wednesday, March 17, 2021
Monday, June 14, 2021 - Friday, June 18, 2021